Skill 9: One Sided Weakness
It is important to dress the weak side first. You will remove the strong side first. Supplies:
- 2 Shirts
- 2 Pairs of Pants
- 1 Pair of socks
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands and put on gloves
- Check patients ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- Gather supplies and place on tray table you covered with a towel.
- If patient is sitting up, ask to place them into a flat laying down position.
- Ask patient what they would like to wear (Give two choices)
- Put socks on and pull their pants up to their thighs. Cover the patient when not working on that area.
- Untie gown and remove from strong side first then weak side. Encourage the patient to help with the weak side.
- Place in hamper and make sure patient is covered and not exposed with the towel.
- Put sleeve of shirt on weak side first.
- Ask patient to roll slightly to the opposite side and tuck the shirt under neath them so you can access it from the other side. While their on their side pull the pants to the hips
- Have them roll back to normal flat position and put the other sleeve on. If you couldn’t get the pants fully on have them roll the other way and pull them up.
- Button pants.
- Button the shirt ASK if they want the top button buttoned. If they don’t, don’t button it.
- Also ask if they would like their shirt tucked in.
- Straighten sheet of wrinkles. (NO WRINKLES EVER)
- Put any remaining linens in hamper.
- Remove gloves & wash hands
- Ask how they want the head of bed.
- Give the patient their call light/Un-provide for privacy.
Think you’re ready?
Enter your zip code in the form below and we will match you with the best schools in your area. It’s fast and free!