Skill 8: Changing An Occupied Bed
Changing An Occupied Bed Skill level-Medium
Keep wrinkles out of beds to decrease risks of bed/pressure sores. Never Shake or fluff linens as this can spread particles.
- Fitted Sheet
- Flat Sheet
- Pillow Case
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands and put on gloves.
- Check patients ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- Gather linens and supplies and place on tray table covered with a towel.
- If patient is sitting up ask them if you can lay them down flat.
- Raise the bed to make it easier for you.
- Have patient roll to their opposite side you are working on.
- When patient rolls over adjust pillow to middle of their head.
- Remove dirty linen by rolling and tucking sheet under resident.
- Place clean fitted sheet on working side of bed and get wrinkles out.
- Ask patient to roll over towards you and help scoot them towards you.
- Adjust pillow again to center of head.
- Do the same with the sheet on opposite side, pulling the dirty out from under with the clean one following to cover where the dirty sheet is coming off.
- As you pull dirty linens off place them in the dirty linens hamper.
- Unfold and place flat sheet over dirty sheet. Remember to unfold away from residents face, so start at the top and unfold down.
- Ask resident to hold top of clean sheet.
- Slowly pull and roll out dirty linen from under clean sheet, standing at the foot of the bed.
- Place dirty linens in hamper.
- Tuck flat sheet under mattress (Bottom) making hospital corners (See definitions) & make sure there is room for foot movement by pinching the sheet above the feet and pulling up a little.
- Replace the pillowcase, make sure not to shake the pillow, the way to properly change a pillowcase is to pull the old one off (Put it in the dirty hamper), then turn the clean case inside out, stick your hand in it like a glove and grab the pillow, pull the pillow through and your done.
- Take off gloves.
- Wash Hands
- Un-provide for privacy
- Ask patient how they would like their head of bed..
- Give patient their call light.
- Every time you change sides put the safety rails up.
- Keep patient covered at all times.
Think you’re ready?
Enter your zip code in the form below and we will match you with the best schools in your area. It’s fast and free!