Skill 6: Feeding A Resident
(No gloves, as for some people can be allergic to them)Towel Clothing Protector Cup Chair (For you) Spoon Wash Cloths Food Tray Snack Recording Sheet Water Pitcher (Filled)
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands
- Check patients ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- Gather linens and supplies and place on tray table covered with a towel.
- At sink wet a washcloth making it warm
- Ask the patient if its ok to raise the head of bed. Then raise to 60 degrees.
- Cover patients chest with protector and sit in chair at eye level with patient.
- Check patients diet card and make sure its correct with patients name.
- Pour water into cup from pitcher.
- Offer patient to clean their hands with the warm/wet wash cloth
- Ask patient what food they would like to eat first then start to feed with the SPOON not all the way full. (Go in a clock wise fashion eating different things each time)
- About every three bites ask if they want a drink and give them one if they do.
- Encourage to eat as much as they can and pat dry mouth as needed with wash cloth.
- Make sure you are communicating with the resident throughout the meal.
- When the resident states they are full, encourage one more bite.
- Put food tray back on shelf and tell resident you are going to leave them in an upright position for digestion.
- Place dirty linens in hamper
- Leave water if allowed
- Wash hands
- Give patient call light
- Un-provide for privacy
- Record food and water on intake chart.
- Try to encourage the patient at all times to eat more and drink more, especially if its required that the patient has to meet a daily limit.
Think you’re ready?
Enter your zip code in the form below and we will match you with the best schools in your area. It’s fast and free!