Skill 16: Change of Position
1 Towel 3 Pillows 1 Flat Sheet
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands
- Check patients ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- Gather Supplies and place on tray table thats covered with a towel.
- By placing one hand under the knee and one hand behind the shoulder, assist patient in scooting body towards you and the edge of the bed.
- Ask the patient to roll on their side.
- Adjust their head pillow so their head is in the middle of the pillow.
- Place one pillow behind their back, along the spine from the waist up, and tuck under, the fold the pillow in half, again tucking it under them.
- Have patient roll back slightly against the pillow.
- Ask the patient to bend knees to 90 degree angle.
- With second pillow, assist patient by lifting their thigh and placing a pillow between their legs.
- Ensure the pillow is between their knees, ankles, and feet.
- With the third pillow, lift the patients top arm placing pillow directly under the armpit and across chest.
- Lift bottom arm and tuck other pillow corner under armpit. Keep patients body off of arm.
- Ensure arms are place gently over pillow.
- Give resident their call button.
- Put dirty linens into hamper.
- Remove gloves wash hands and ask how they would like the head of bed left.
- Un-Provide for privacy.
Think you’re ready?
Enter your zip code in the form below and we will match you with the best schools in your area. It’s fast and free!