Skill 12: Measuring and Recording Content of Urinary Drainage Bag
Supplies: Pair of gloves Graduate Chuck Pad 2 Alcohol pads Recording Sheet
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands
- Check patients ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- Gather supplies
- Put chuck pad on ground under urinary bag.
- Put gloves on.
- Place graduated cylinder on chuck pad.
- Open alcohol pads and place them on the chuck pad (Just open them enough to remove when needed)
- Wipe the end of the tube with a alcohol pad.
- Open urinary bag and drain into graduate, with out touching any side of the graduate.
- Clean the tip of the bag with the remaining alcohol pad.
- Make sure the urinary bag is in the proper position it must be below the bladder.
- Wrap chuck pad around graduate and set on the back of the toilet or counter top.
- Measure the amount in the graduate.
- Empty the graduate into the toilet.
- At the sink rinse the graduate twice with scalding water dumping it into the toilet.
- Pat dry with clean paper towel and store with a clean barrier paper towel.
- Check the tubing to make sure its not tangled.
- Remove gloves and wash hands.
- Give resident their call button.
- Record fluid measurement.
- Ask how they would like the head of bed left.
- Un-provide privacy.
- Make sure to remember the measurement after taking it.
Think you’re ready?
Enter your zip code in the form below and we will match you with the best schools in your area. It’s fast and free!